Wednesday 8 July 2009

Australian Fortified Wine

Firstly I’d like to apologise for my recent absence, I’ve been on holiday and had decided that I needed a break from everything, but I’m back now all refreshed!

I’ve been trawling through my inbox to catch up on the news and came across an email from Decanter about how Australians are “planning to reignite interest in the languishing category” of Australian fortified wine, which is apparently declining by 3% a year. (http://www.decanter.com/news/285434.html)

To combat this, producers have come up with a range of strategies to improve understanding among restauranteurs and retailers. This includes educating them on how and when to serve fortifieds. The aim is to increase awareness with 25-44 year old drinkers, and hopefully boost sales!

I don’t know a lot about Australian fortifieds aside from the fact they make Port, Sherry and Liquor Muscat style wines. The most famous is the Liquor Muscat from the Rutherglen region. It was this that I had the pleasure of tasting for my WSET Diploma exam. From what I can remember, it was a lusciously rich and sweet wine, with flavours of raisins and dried fruit, definitely well worth trying.

Let’s hope that for the Australian producers that they get the boost in sales they are after, I would certainly recommend people try them, especially the Rutherglen Muscat mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment